So, shockingly, no one got all of the answers right. Oh well. For those curious souls who want to know here you go. And all the movies can be seen at Film Forum or of course rented on Netflix.
1. “I caught the blackjack right behind my ear. A black pool opened at my feet. I dived in.”
MURDER, MY SWEET. (1944). Edward Dmytryk
2. “Nobody’s all bad, deep down. She comes the closest.”
OUT OF THE PAST. (1946). Jacques Tourneur
3. “Give me a kiss or I’ll sock ya.”
THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE. (1946). Tay Garnett
4. “If I’d only known where it would end, I’d never have let anything start.”
THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI. 1948. Orson Welles.
5. “Whichever way you turn, Fate sticks out a foot to trip you.”
DETOUR. 1948. Edgar G. Ulmer
6. “If you shoot, baby, you’ll smear us all over the road.”
DEAD RECKONING. 1947. John Cromwell.
7. “You’re not too smart, are you? I like that in a man.”
BODY HEAT. 1981. Lawrence Kasdan.
8. “I will not be ignored.”
FATAL ATTRACTION. 1987. Adrian Lyne.
Joe Gilday said:
I got one right. Fatal Attraction. That scary moment was burned forever into the cockles of my crotch. That’ll teach ya to keep it where it belongs. Also, I love that Raymond Chandler line from Murder My Sweet. Nobody writes like him.